Friday, February 27, 2009

The Feeling

I keep thinking of things I want to blog about, and keep turning to my blog to see if I've done it, and I haven't. So I figure I should start.

First and foremost, I wanted to share what I got at Boo Boo Records.

You may recall I liked the song Sewn by The Feeling. Well, I was listening to music with a friend and that song came on. She suddenly gasped and said, "Is this The Feeling?!" and I did not gasp but said, "Yes it is!" and she said, "Do you have their CD?" and I told her all about how I don't buy complete CDs anymore and she told me she had their CD and that I could borrow it.

So I did. The next day it was one wonderful song after the other. During my drive to work I only listened to three songs. I couldn't wait to hear what came next! Imagine my joy when my supervisor asks me to go buy a cake during the morning. Not only do I get cake, but I get to listen to more music! Wicka wicka WOOT!

Anyway, I realized that this is a CD I want to own, a CD I want to touch, a CD I want in this physical world. I haven't felt that way about a CD in a long time. It's a nice feeling. So, I went to Boo Boo Records and they hooked me up.

The CD is Twelve Stops and Home by The Feeling. I linked that to Amazon, but I usually prefer to buy CDs from local stores.

Now, I want you to listen to some of these songs, simply because I enjoyed them so much. The best way I think to do this is to go to YouTube and look up "Sewn" "Love It When You Call" "Never Be Lonely" and "Fill My Little World", but DON'T WATCH THE VIDEOS. JUST LISTEN!! Songs can take on entirely new meanings once you watch the video. I remember when I found out what a "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" was. (I was sitting in the living room of C4 with Tara when all of a sudden that song came on CMT and we were both blown away and a little bit disgusted.)

Right, anyway, some people argue that the music video is an extension of the artist's "art" and should be considered the end-all of song interpretation. I think this is a terrible idea, and you should listen to the songs first, come to your own conclusions, then watch the videos.

Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Okay. I'll do it. I'll listen to the songs and not watch the videos.

I'm so glad you were able to add a physical CD to your music collection! Thanks, Amanda, for providing her with this opportunity!

(I'm pretty sure it was Amanda; I don't have time to search the archives.)

Kylie said...

Oh. Apparently all I had to do was scroll down a little. No archive-searching necessary!