Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Art Institute of Chicago

In the daytime my roommates generally go to work, and I generally put on my exploring shoes and go to a museum. The very first Museum Pass I was able to score from the Chicago Public Library was to The Art Institute of Chicago. It was a magical land. I did it all wrong, though.

I decided to start in the basement and work my way up the other levels. I saw some cool things, like this armor for a German father and son. 


Then I wandered into the land of miniatures, which was very cool, and I saw ancient pottery from all sorts of civilizations. Then I found the hall of the marble busts. Sure, it was cool, but I've been to Hearst Castle, where the marble busts are cooler because they are incorporated into a design, so I really could have skipped that hall. What I should have done was go straight to the land of Impressionism.


Oh how I love Impressionism. I get lost in the paintings. The above painting is by Georges Seurat. I can't believe I've seen A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte in real life. It blows my mind.

Also on display was Paris Street; Rainy Day by Gustave Caillebotte. I think this painting is currently on display somewhere in... Asia?


After checking out various other galleries, I found myself at the Paris Street again, only this time there was a lot more people.


Then I remember seeing signs that the museum would be free on that day from 5-8. Thankfully, I was basically done looking around and didn't have to elbow people out of the way to see my favorite paintings. As I was leaving the building, I noticed this massive line of waiting patrons. People here are very serious about free art.

1 comment:

Audrey/Cooper's grandma said...

Hey Myriah, you should rent the movie "Ferris Buellers Day Off". It was filmed in Chicago. I remember a scene in it at the art museum with that impressionist painting in it.