Friday, March 21, 2008

I decided against it.

Sometimes when i feel like it, i go run around these trees.

I love it.
It is peaceful.
It gives me time to clear my head.
I can think about whatever i want.
I get a good workout.
It's the perfect length.
I get to enjoy the outdoors.

Also, i get a little dirty, which is somehow very satisfying, and i can also work on my tan while i work out. I'm pretty sure that is why i started jogging this trail. The other stuff (that i listed first, so you wouldn't think i am vain) are just perks.

Now, I rarely see litter on this trail, but today i noticed this penguin sticker:

It caused me a lot of confusion, and the only thing i could think of was that "Penguin" is perhaps another hiker's name, and instead of carving their name into the tree, they just use these handy dandy stickers.
I feel pretty good about this conclusion.

As i was jogging along, i came to this black dog. I took a picture of it because i am reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I am almost certain this dog is actually Sirius Black. I would have gotten a closer picture if the thought, "use your zoom" had come to mind.
But it didn't.


The trail is a 1.4 mile loop, which means i could go either direction and get a nice variation. I do enjoy a nice variation on a theme. I usually take the right at the start. A few weeks ago I tried going up backwards, hated it so much that i ran back to the beginning and did it the right way. I haven't tried going left since then.

Today, as i was heading right, i noticed some people coming down the last stretch, and they had a stroller. This was no off-roading thing, it was more of a "let's walk to the library" type.

I didn't understand it. A stroller? On this trail? There are a few steep parts that i wouldn't want to push a stroller up or down. The couple were still pretty far off, and if i were going to be passing them, i would have asked them all about it. But as i would need to hang around the trail head all creepy-like waiting to casually point out that maybe they are crazy, i decided against it and started my workout.

6 comments:

Jodie said...

This trail is beautiful and now I'm longing for summer. I am done with the cold...give me some SUN BABY!!! Anyway, your trail run looks fabulous and I only wish I could come with you pushing my girls in a real trail jogging stroller. You could push Wade.

Myriah Cohen said...

Whoa! A real trail jogging stroller?

Awesome! Now, i would love to push Wade, but as i'm not so skilled in the "hey let's go running and push newborns" business, I was wondering if Wade will be strapped in and also be wearing a helmet?

Dark Horse said...

he has no helmet, but you are more than welcome to wear one to compensate for his lack of helmetness

Tara said...

I'm glad you admitted looking for a tan. It is a beautiful trail and I'm glad that you didn't hang out like a creepy person...even if they are weird.

Kylie said...

You're so vain. You probably think this post is about you.

My mom, the workout freak, used to push NickJosh in this heavy duty jogging pusher dealio that had three big impenetrable wheels. That's what those people should have been using. But apparently they were going for the leisurely stroll; hence the stroller.

I laughed out loud when I read the "creepy-like" part and Mike is now very curious about this post. Just thought you'd like to know that. I'm creating buzz!

Myriah Cohen said...

Ky, I ADORE a good BUZZ!
Nice work!


(Also, how come it is always NickJosh and never JoshNick?)