Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Your Halloween

Psstt.....Over here... Yeah... jeez, keep your voice down. If this gets out, I could be in a lot of hot water. Here it is: I'm not going to the Halloween dance.

Yeah, that's right. I don't like Halloween dances. I don't really like Halloween parties, either. Mostly it is the expectation, the stress, and the pressure of creating and wearing a costume. I have gone to Halloween things without a costume, and then I have to deal with the judgments, the dirty looks, and the endless conversations about why I'm wearing regular clothes. I'm happier if I can just stay away from the masses.

This time of year is very stressful for me, because I try to keep this part of me a secret. This is the first year that I will not be participating in scheduled Halloween events, and for some reason, everyone keeps asking me about my attendance at said events. It's terrible. I'm just trying to be myself, and everyone is trying to get me to do something I don't want to do. Sitting there, reading this, you will say, "Oh, Myriah, it doesn't matter what people think. Do what you want to do. Forget about them."

Yes, that is my policy exactly, except that as soon as it gets out that I don't want to celebrate Halloween in the manner they want me to celebrate, everyone starts to get really upset, and tries to talk me into participating. They just can't understand why I don't like to party with them. But they don't need to know why. I try to come up with a reason, but nothing satisfies them. They should be happy just knowing where I stand on the topic, and go their merry way planning their own Halloween festivities. 

I just typed out my history with Halloween, to help you better understand how I got to be where I am today, and all the various things I have tried while I cope with this thing called Halloween, but realized that it didn't matter. So I deleted it. You don't need to know. All you need to know is that I'm not going to the Halloween dance.

I hope I didn't break your heart. Oh yeah, and if you haven't heard, I don't like cheesecake either.

6 comments:

Brianna said...

YOU DON'T LIKE CHEESECAKE?! Me either...not that much at least.

Dr. Cohen said...

Halloween is way overrated. Every year, I come up with some costume the afternoon of the party or the 31st. Last year, Jodie and I were Canadian. It was hard, because people didn't get it. they thought I just liked wearing toques and liked to ice skate. This year I think I'll be something awesome.

Shawna said...

Amen. So not a fan of getting dressed up for Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Halloween and all things fall are awesome! In 3-5 days you will receive my attempt at convincing you. The best part is the worms :)

Myriah Cohen said...

Anonymous,

I got it!!! I LOVE It! THANkS!!!

(I am a bit worried about those worms, though.)

Anonymous said...

Me too, I've been too scared to eat them but maybe I will brave it tonight?