Monday, May 26, 2008

It's a long one

Sunday went by as usual. Normal church, normal old ladies at dinner, normal strange dessert, normal dad trying to shoot the trespassing orange cat.
So, Sunday was pretty normal.

I had no plans for Memorial Day, as most of my life in the past year has been one big day off, so it's not like Memorial Day was anything special in the "vacations" category.

The day would be whatever I decided to make it.

While I was at the gym, I decided that today would be the day that I run the trail twice instead of only once. So I did it. I knew I would need music to make it around twice, so I brought my iPod. I started out on the trail, sans music, just walking and listening to the birds, then up the little switchbacks, and at the top of the hill, right before a really steep part, I put my earphones in. I hadn't really gotten to any running yet, but as I start my music, and take one step down the hill, I slip.

Not a big slip or anything, but my shin hit dirt, and I slid a little bit. I get up, my hands are dirty, my shin is dirty, and I start cleaning off my shin. It started to sting, and then bleed. I got blood on my hands, so I wiped them off on my other leg.

Anyway, it was just so lame that I got an injury and I hadn't even done anything yet. I continued on my trail, I went around twice, and it felt great. Nothing hurt until I stopped running. That's when my shin started stinging like crazy, my brain realized I had two blisters on each foot and my body said, "You just did double what I'm used to. Crazy."

But it was fun. I took lots of pictures to show you my injuries, but they all looked lame, so I decided not to post them.

After my slip and my blisters, I decided that it was time for new running shoes. Those running shoes used to be my only pair, but they were pretty worn out, so I bought new ones that I use at the gym, and the old ones I used running outside. But, it is officially time to get rid of those things, so I bought new trail shoes. I wore them all day on Monday, so that is why the picture is from this perspective:

Monday was also the day that I framed my diploma. I had been in denial, thinking I shouldn't put anything on the walls because I'm not going to be here very long, but I finally accepted it and framed and hung the diploma. I get chills every time I walk by it.

So after all my shopping I came home to find mom busy in the kitchen. I knew dinner was at 6, and it was currently 4, so I wondered why we were getting a jump on things. Mom said, "Oh, the Sunday crowd is coming over for dinner."
I said, "Oh, Grandma and Marie?"
"Yeah, they will be here at 5."
"What?! They are coming at FIVE?!" (what the heck were we going to do with those ladies for an hour before dinner?!)

"Oh, no, dinner is at 5."

"oh, phew."

That was a close one.

So the ladies were coming over. Awesome.

I was hanging out with them, Marie eating salsa and Grandma eating sailsah when dad came in with a head lamp for me. I had been wanting one for a long time, so I was pretty excited to get it.
Naturally I put it on. Grandma said, "How do you use that thing? Pull that light over your eyes and you can see?

Yes Grandma, I pull it over my eyes and then I can see.

I think one of the best parts about our dinner table is the big window we can look out of and check out the yard. While we were checking out the yard, we noticed a huge rat sneaking out of a hole and eating birdseed. We were all pretty excited about it, Grandma kept yelling, "what are you looking at?!?!?!?" and we kept telling her, and she still didn't understand, and then when she finally knew there was a rat, she said, "THERE'S A RAT IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!"

I told Grandma I'd put up posters. "Warning: Rat in neighborhood."

Grandma was pretty concerned, so she yelled, "You'd better put a trap out tomorrow!"

Dad did better than that. He put a trap out immediately.

It was a big trap. We might be able to catch that orange cat in it, too.


Amanda said...

Is that Mary, cleverly disguising the trap with leaves? Tricky, tricky. When Lillian saw your picture with the head lamp, she started saying your name over and over again and asked if we could call you. I told her no, as it's only 7:15 in the morning, and you probably wouldn't appreciate it.

Myriah said...

You know, I know in my heart that you are a mom, but i still can't grasp the fact that you are generally awake before 6.

Claire said...

I hope I'm reading your blog when I'm 90.

Ky said...

This is a great post. Fabulous, really.